Checking out the Brother's Islam
1. Make sure the brother has the correct understanding of Tawheed. (see the Fundamentals of Tawheed by Bilalal Philips)
2. Make sure the brother believes and understands in the five pillars and the six articles of faith?
3. When the brother comes to meet with you check to see if he is correctly Islamicly dressed (loose fitting clothing) and that he has a beard which is sunnah.
4.If he is a follower of any groups that have deviant practices or if he is following a group whose practices put them OUT of Islam you may rethink marrying him. Some of these groups are Nation of Islam, Some Shia, Ahmadiayah, Rashad Khalifa followers, Qadianis, 5% Nation, 12ers , and other unnamed groups.
5. Ask him if he understands blind following of the Madhhabs
(See Blind Following of Madhhabs by Shaykh Muhammad Sultan al-Ma'soomee al Khajnadee). Some people will take the opinion of a school of through and reject the authentic sunnah, and this is why this is a problem.
6. Some "scholars" have a modernistic slant, ask him which scholars he regularly refers to for Islamic materials and /or answers.
7. Do you try to lower your gaze when looking at other women? Do you needlessly chat with women?
9. Will he expect his wife to be in the company of non-maharim men in your home or while visiting others, including his brothers which is not advisable?
10. Do you pray all the prayers on time, all 5, and the Sunnah prayers?
11. Do you fast all of Ramadan?
12. Do you engage in voluntary fasting?
13. Do you read Quran everyday or the translation of the meanings?
14. Do you remember to say your duas at certain times, like before eating, after eating, at time of sleep, when traveling, leaving the home, getting into your car, etc.?
15. Do you try to refrain from backbiting and slander?
16. Do you try refrain from idle talk?
17. Are you careful to check your grocery products for haraam ingredients?
18. Are you able to divide your time reasonably between work and Islamic activities and your family?
19. Have you performed Hajj and/or Umrah? If not when do you think you will be able to take yourself and your family.
20.Many scholars consider Music and photography (still and moving pictures, 1,2 and 3 D included) Islamicly unacceptable due to the authetnic hadeeth. See searchable database at http://www.islamqa.com/en Ask him if he partakes in these activities. Bukari# 7.110 Narrated by 'Aisha: " I bought a cushion having on it pictures (of animals). When Allah's Apostle saw it, he stood at the door and did not enter. I noticed the sign of disapproval on his face and said, "O Allah's Apostle! I repent to Allah and His Apostle. What sin have I committed?' Allah's Apostle said. "What is this cushion?" I said, "I have bought it for you so that you may sit on it and recline on it." Allah's Apostle said, "The makers of these pictures will be punished on the Day of Resurrection, and it will be said to them, 'Give life to what you have created (i.e., these pictures).' " The Prophet added, "The Angels of (Mercy) do not enter a house in which there are pictures (of animate objects)."Hadeeth 7.494B Narrated Abu 'Amir or Abu Malik Al-Ash'ari that he heard the Prophet saying, "From among my followers there will be some people who will consider